Global Hospitality Report (March 14, 2016)

In Focus: Singapore 
By Eva Shen, Ho Mei Leng and Hok Yean CHEE

The article provides an overview of the tourism and hotel market performance in Singapore in 2015. In addition, the survey conducted with hospitality professionals offers an outlook for the market in 2016.

Reducing Utility Costs in Your Food & Beverage Department 
By Kevin Goldstein and Sonia Vasquez

HVS conducts numerous walkthroughs of hotel F&B operations each year. In almost every full service property, we find opportunities to significantly decrease utility costs through a combination of operating enhancements and capital projects.

In Focus: South African Hotel Market Update 
By Tshepo Makhudu and Tim Smith

This article highlights the macro factors impacting the South African hotel market and also provides a 2016 outlook.

Meliá Expands Its Presence in Indonesia with the Signing of Meliá Bintan 

Meliá Hotels International announced the signing of Meliá Bintan, with Kurnia Land, on 7 March, 2016. This is the group’s 15th hotel in Indonesia and second on the island of Bintan. The new development represents the hotel group’s growing presence in the country, and is another milestone in its development and growth strategy in Indonesia and Asia. Meliá Bintan is located in a coastal enclave, with 280 rooms, villas and a large-scale convention center covering an area of eight hectares. Managed under the Meliá Hotels & Resorts brand, the hotel will have the brand’s signature amenities and facilities. Currently, Meliá Hotels International manages 32 hotels in the region, with seven of them due to open this year. The group aims to double its portfolio in the Asian region in the next three years.

Rezidor Purchases a 49% Stake in prizeotel...  

Rezidor Hotel Group is making its entry into the economy hotel segment with the acquisition of a 49% stake in German budget design chain, prizeotel for £14.7 million. Additionally, the group has secured further rights including the purchase of the remaining 51% share in prizeotel in four years’ time. prizeotel currently has three hotels in operation across Germany (555 rooms), in Bremen, Hamburg and Hannover, and one property in its development pipeline. The deal is expected to close in the next few weeks. “Combining and cross-fertilizing prizeotel’s market and brand knowledge with Rezidor’s international expertise will unlock value for both organisations. We will initially grow the German network and target key cities in Austria, Switzerland and Benelux primarily through leases, but also management agreements,” commented Elie Younes, Executive Vice President and Chief Development Officer for Rezidor. “prizeotel will offer a unique investment proposition with its compelling design, value-engineered development costs, high operating efficiencies and an optional turn-key construction solution,” he added. HVS was pleased to have advised Rezidor Hotel Group on certain aspects of this acquisition.


Superior Results through Unrivaled Hospitality Intelligence. Everywhere.